Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sorority Fag

You know sometimes how listening to a song can automatically transport you back to a specific time or place in your past? Well, this morning on the way to work I heard a song that brought me back to my sorority days. "Build Me Up Buttercup" by The Foundations.

Sorority FagI was a complete sorority fag. Each semester as part of Rush, we would make up songs to cheer as the Rushees came to visit our chapter house. The more fun and the more catchy the songs were, the better they were. I made up a song for to the tune of "Buttercup". Sing along with me please...

Why don't you come and see Alpha Xi, baby
Its the place for you, with a love so true
And best of all, we'll be around baby
If you ask us to, we'll stand by you
We want you, we want you
More than anyone, darlin'
You know that we have from the start.
So come and be, an Alpha Xi
Don't break our hearts.

This was a hit. I sang it so much that even now, I can't sing the real words to the song.

But my Rush song legacy was one I wrote to the tune of the "Always Coca-Cola" song. I taught this to chapters all over the Eastern states during a chapter president's conference one year.


The stars will always shine, the birds will always sing
With Alpha Xi Delta you're always the real thing
A sisterhood so true, we're all number one
As long as there is love, there's Alpha Xi Delta
Doo doo doo doo doo, We're Alpha Xi Delta

You can thank me later for putting these songs in your head.

3 comments:

  1. Luckily, your plan to implant these songs in my head will fail because I don't know how to pronounce "xi."

    Ha! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Eh hem," he clears his throat tapping on the microphone. "Is this thing on? Everyone have a seat. Thank you for attending this exhibit and discussion on these fine artifacts we have recovered from the early 1990s." the audience quickly fills their seats in anticipation. "Now. For this first picture. You might be a little confused at first, thinking that this restored photograph is from the 1980s. Notice the rolled jean shorts indicative of that period." The anthropoligical crowd gasps in horror! "The Michael Jackson gloves even gave us a run for our money dating these images." A smile emerges from his face. "But it is the dance moves that tell the real story! The raised shoulders, the flaired hand positions, the cowboy-styled posture. This image is a quntescential example of the period!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, nice gams girl! That picture is awesome.

    Build Me Up Buttercup got ruined for me with There's Something About Mary. Not that I didn't like the movie, just that I used to enjoy that song before I associated Ben Stiller and Cameron Diaz with it!

    And I had to watch the video to remember the Coke song. I can't believe I had forgotten such a classic. Yes, it is now stuck in my head. You have been successful.

    ReplyDelete