Wednesday, May 18, 2005

gripe, gripe

I'm not as concerned about being out of a job than I am about being bored in my job.

I think I mentioned this before, but when I started I was feeling overwhelmed with all the looming projects I was walking into. This was all based on my manager's description of what she was responsible for. That was about 6 weeks ago.

For the past 2? 3? weeks I've been going insane, not because I'm overworked, but because I can't find enough for me to do to keep me occupied. This 'mountain' of work that I anticipated when I started? I think my manager was exaggerating. And I don't even think she realized it.

I am juggling 5 different things going on, and it's all manageable, mainly because the items that I am directly responsible for haven't hit yet, or my deliverables are staggered at different times. I can tell you what's going on now in any of the projects and I have all my information organized and easily accessible. I'm not saying I'm Super Project Manager or anything, I just multi-task pretty well - as long as I'm interested in what I'm doing.

My manager however, is a different story. I actually feel sorry for her. I see her as a scared puppy dog sulking in a corner because she accidentaly pooped on the rug. She seems to be flustered when I give her updates on the current projects and she's trying to be an active participant in them, but there are more times when she's just in my way than actually being a befefit to me.

It's very weird. I don't want to absorb myself in a job. All I want is to come to work in the morning, do my job and be productive, and then leave it all behind when I go home. I don't want to sit here all day staring at the computer; have to teach my boss about the project/process/technology; or play secretary.

And to top it all off, I don't have a permanent place to sit. I've been moved to two cubicles, I have another set up in the 'bullpen' - a small space shared with 5 other people! If I actually have to sit there, I'll be wedged between two foreign developers with their elbows literally in my ears. When I get back from vacation, there'll also be a new person on the team, an intern. I want to know what the hell is there for him to do? There's hardly enough for me to do.

Enough griping. I'm on vacation in three days!

No comments:

Post a Comment