Thursday, March 31, 2005

I'm still waiting for the start date of my new job. It's been 3 weeks since I signed the acceptance letters. Three weeks of sitting around, collecting unemployment checks, watching tv, getting annoyed by Barry and trying to find ways to occupy my time with minimum expense. To do that, I've been reading... a lot.

I bought a new book Pledged: The Secret Life of Sororities, and I can't put it down. I find the stories jaw-dropping. Some out of utter ridiculousness and some out of complete rememberence. I am an Alpha Xi Delta, graduating class of 1995. I have been chapter president, house manager and served on the alumnae advisory board for three years. Even now my closest friends are my sorority sisters. While I wouldn't have traded my time in the sorority for anything, I realized that my entire college career revolved around the Greek system. I wonder how college would have differed for me had I remainded an independant.

Reading this book, I'm reminded of the activities of sorority life. Sure there were the parties, the hook ups, the cattiness of 40 girls living in the same house and the stuff that you hear about in bad made-for-tv movies, but there were also those nights where we hung out watching movies, or snacking in the dining room talking about nothing but having the best time.

No comments:

Post a Comment