Monday, February 23, 2009

Be the change

As I go through my morning ritual of reading email, horoscope, twitter feeds and e-learning blogs, I came across the T+D Blog and this particular article.

Although unemployment is at an all-time high, you should not assume that employees "should be just happy to have a job." They need a purpose, a reason to work and they need to feel like the work that they are doing is meaningful and valuable to the company.

This is exactly how I feel right now. I don't feel that it's good enough to just have a job. I don't want a job, I want a career. I want to be proud of the work that I do. I want to be able to show it off and say "Look what I can do!", I want to hang my gold star on my refrigerator to show my dog.

I wish I could anonymously send a link to this article to the top dogs of my company. But I don't think it would change anything, and really, I'm not interested in change here anymore. I'm more interested about the change in me and what I care about.

I will be finishing my Masters degree in Education in a few weeks. I say that as if it's going to magically happen, but the reality is that I still have a lot of work to do on my final project. I'm using that milestone as the catalyst to start looking for another job. Time to move out of Project Management and on to Instructional Design. For the first time in my life, I will actually take a job in the field that I went to school for.

No comments:

Post a Comment