Friday, November 14, 2008

A pet peeve

I sit in a cubicle at work and often overhear people's conversations. (Ok, sometimes I strain to hear because I am such a voyeur.) But in my pursuit of my eavesdropping I hear stuff that ultimately annoys me -- which in reality is my own dumb fault for being angry because I don't need to be so nosy.

Today's pet peeve is the way some people start off conversations.

"I don't know if you read my email, but..." and then go off into a monologue on what their email actually said.

This doesn't have to be specific to email, but in any situation where Person A expected Person B to have knowledge of something, Person A starts with "I don't know if you have knowledge of something", then proceeds to tell Person B exactly the knowledge of something Person B was expected to know.

Wouldn't it be easier just do ask "Hey, did you read my email? What are your thoughts on it?" This way it conserves words, gets to the point of the conversation and doesn't aggravate me when I try and listen in to conversations that have nothing to do with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment