Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stage mom

51/365

There are moments, in hindsight, where you reconsider your actions.

This weekend I was asked by my sorority chapter that I advise to be a judge in their fund raising event, Karaoke for the Cure. All proceeds were to benefit the group Autism Speaks.

I had a lot of fun with the two other judges getting all Simon, Paula and Randy-like in critiquing the competition portion of the evening. There were some shining stars and some duds, but overall it was a fun-filled night.

After the competition portion of the night was over, it turned back to open karaoke. After watching everyone, meaning the college students who this event was for, have their turn on stage, I felt left out and wanted to give it a go.

I am no stranger to karaoke. My family has been having karaoke nights for several years. When the family gets together, its a ridiculum of hats, wigs, glasses, props and many, many drinks. We turn on our inner rockstar and give the most outlandish rendition of Aretha Franklin, Guns 'N Roses or Queen that we can muster. Embarrassment has no place with us.

So that night, completely sober among people who were toddlers when I frequented the Rider Pub as an undergrad, I grabbed the mic, took the stage and belted out Madonna's 'Express Yourself".

I didn't suck. And I hope I didn't embarrass the women of my chapter. But I had fun and there was dancing on the floor.

But looking back now, all I can think of is someone in the back probably asking one of the women "Gee, who brought your mom?"

*Sigh*

3 comments:

  1. toothpick8:45 PM

    Ha, right! You look fab in that photo and I love that you are always front and center when it comes to doing whatever! If I were one of those kids I'd be wanting to see if you wanted to hit the kegger with us afterwards. It would be guaranteed amplified fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:39 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once a rock star, always a rock star!

    ReplyDelete