Sunday, August 28, 2005

more daydreaming

I was walking with Barry this morning, something that I’ve been doing regularily for a week, not only as a requirement for caring for my dog, but to get me exercising. We walk to the park near my house and do two laps around the walking path. I bring my iPod and listen to the random rotation of whatever songs are saved there. In between a Jack Johnson song and a Fiona Apple song, my mind started to wander.

I daydreamed of me having yet another adventure trhough Europe. I saw me flying in to Dublin, Ireland with nothing more than a backpack full of my laptop, digital camera, journal and versitle comfortable clothes. I would stay in hostels and get from place to place by train, bus or ferry. I would visit the green country side and have my meals in Irish pubs. I’d make friends with locals or other travelers and send emails of my adventures to stay out of London and explore the smaller towns along the way to the English Channel where I would take the Eurorail through France and into Italy where I would explore the amazing art in Florence, Rome, the Vatican City and down to the heel of Italy’s boot and hop over to Greece.

I’m getting distracted. I’m looking at maps of Europe and surfing women travel sites for appropriate things to wear in countries that I’m interested in.

I can imagine the blue of the waters and the white houses lining the cliffs and so much a part of me wants to throw my things in a bag right now and start this trip.

I have a tendency of packing too much. From what I read, only a few articles of clothing are necessary, and they should be lightweight cotton. A long, knee to ankle length skirt is a must. In many religious areas showing too much skin is a taboo. Don’t wear shorts, tank tops or white sneakers lest I be immediately labels as can American tourist. Long sleeve button down shirts and dark sunglasses are a must have, as are comfortable walking shoes. I know I would be walking everywhere, so this is a necessity. A large scarf which could be used for covering my head and neck in more conservative areas as well as keep off the hot sun. Leave the jewelry at home and heavy makeup is not recommended.

Oh how I want to see the world! I want to see the Turkish bazaars and the Taj Mahal. I want to see the safaris of Africa and the Australian beaches.

Once I had the idea that I could rent my house while I travel, a huge weight lifted from me. I wouldn’t need to sell my home that I love so much. Just let some other family live here for a year, paying my mortgage. Maybe I’d sell my car. I could always get another one when I get home. I’d add my mom to my bank accounts so she could pay whatever bill I get while I’m gone. I don’t even feel afraid at the thought of traveling alone. As I learned on my road trips, more opportunities seem to happen when I’m solo.

Looking around my home I see so many things that I want to clean out, pack up or just get rid of because it would lighten my load and thus make my emotional state much more calm. It would mean that I’m one step closer to making it very easy to start this journey.

So many other people have done it, so I can too. Meeting Debbie on my trip through Spain was such an inspiration to me. She did it alone, going from Ireland to Greece in about 2 months. It inspired me. This is something that I have to do.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Go, Go, and Go.

    I had the same urge 16 days ago to run off to China by myself for some good food and soul searching. 14 days ago I left for there.
    And yesterday I returned. It was short but well worth it.
    Go Claudi go!

    -Evan

    ReplyDelete